Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring is Harvest Time?



Yes it is! It is time to "harvest" the beautiful spring flowers! This past weekend I had a wedding and a corporate party and I was able to include some of my favorite flowers right from my own back yard.


My supply of Plum Blossoms! Ok, so not exactly my back yard on this one...




If it's not your back yard, be sure to get permission! Cutting in the dark can be dangerous:)

I incorporated Lilacs, Lily of the Valley, Plum Blossoms, and Variegated Hostas. It gave me an amazing sense of satisfaction cutting right from the plant and designing away, talk about fresh! It made me wish that I could plant acres and acres of flowers to use all Summer long for my clients. Unfortunately I do not have the time or the resources for such an endeavor so I am looking forward to supporting local growers this season.


It worked quite well that the clients were wanting a very fresh, vintage look. These classic blooms had no problem pulling that off, and of course a venue like the St Paul Hotel doesn't hurt either! For the vases I used a collection of crystal that I've been gathering from thrift stores for the last few months. All together I was extremely happy with the result and received the best complement ever when someone said it was very "Great Gatsby". I adore that book and time period, so much grace and style! Best of all, this weekend we achieved grace and style done in a completely "green" way! Who said this couldn't be done??


Here is shown the collection of vintage crystal and fresh cut local flowers.




One of my favorite details, a sprig of Plum Blossoms on every napkin.




A buffet piece also incorporating green Fern to add to the vintage "Gatsby" feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment